January 14, 2014

Cranky Means Crafts

I was feeling a bit cooped up today (and, frankly, WAY cranky), so I did the only thing I know how to do...SHOP! Thank goodness for gift cards, otherwise I wouldn't have gone. I got to play at Hobby Lobby and not feel guilty at all about the things that I was buying. And, can you believe it, I still have money left! Here's what I've been up to lately....

A few months ago, I ordered a giant picture frame from Hobby Lobby. I'd been ogling it for some time, but the $80 price tag was scaring me away. When I saw it go on sale, used a coupon, and was able to get it for only $20, I patted myself on the back for a job well done. When it arrived, it didn't fare the delivery all that well. It was scratched and beat up, not terribly, and it was probably something I could have either lived with or fixed, but it left me a bit sad. I contacted customer support, and, without any questions asked, they told me to keep/sell/throw away/do whatever I wanted with the old frame, and that they'd send me a new one. I was mostly just trying to vent to them a little, but getting a new frame and getting to keep the old one was a middle-ground that I was more than happy to deal with. I decided to use the "damaged" frame for a chalkboard. I'd been wanting one for the kitchen, and this sounded like a fun project. It only took me 3 months and a some help from my mom, but I finally finished it. And it was a lot easier than I expected! We're gonna have lots of fun with this baby!

My Hobby Lobby finds from today included some flower pom-poms for the dining room, and Scrabble "Goodrich" letters. If you'll recall, I attempted making my own a few months back. They turned out okay, and are beautifully on display in my kitchen, but they didn't scream "Scrabble" to me. When I saw them on sale today, I heard that little (evil) voice inside my head say "oh, come on, buy 'em!" So I did! As much as I love our place and how it's decorated, I'm getting annoyed at the lack of wall space...and I'm probably to blame. I just can't wait to get a house, so that I have distinguished rooms that don't all merge into one room, making everything feel cluttered when I decorate. Dream on, Natalie...

I've decided I'm not done with the buying of Scrabble letters. I got enough to spell "Goodrich," but I'm thinking it would be fun to either add on our names or "blessed," "family," and "love," as you would do in the game. But, like I said, gonna need more wall for that. For now, I'm just going to smile every time I walk down my hallway and see the ones I've got. I also bought a few fun wood pieces for another project I want to work on, but I won't spoil the surprise, since it would probably confuse everyone if I tried to explain what it is I have in mind. Until next time, blog friends & fellow crafters!

This whole chevron theme just kind of happened. But I've decided to roll with it, and have ended up LOVING it. When we get a house, you can count on a dining room wall being painted in light grey chevron. Thinking about getting more pom-poms, smaller, and grey. 

Didn't bother cleaning up the smear marks for the picture.  For now, it's sitting, uncentered, in the middle of the dining table. The undamaged one is hanging above the TV with our family picture. 

I got the little, blue milk jugs from the Quilted Bear for $2 each! 

My hallway wall is totally random and unmatched, but I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment