May 14, 2013

Dishes

Last Friday, I somehow managed to clog our garbage disposal. Ryan came home from work that evening and tried his best to fix it. An easy fix turned into a disaster even worse than when we started. Water started spewing from the actual disposal box under the sink, leaving me without use of the kitchen sink or my dishwasher. And, of course, I had a full load waiting to be cleaned. So dishes and cleaning supplies from under the sink were just piled onto the counter. Having this mess on display really drove me crazy.

We had a repairman over yesterday to fix a leak in a window and to repair the weather stripping on the front door, so I used the opportunity to beg him to fix the garbage disposal. I was getting so desperate, I was seconds from just doing dishes in the tub. Well, he told me he was only approved to do the work that he was sent to do and that I'd have to get the disposal project approved first. So while he worked on the front door, I lugged the dirty dishes into the bathroom and started scrubbing. Yep, I cleaned dishes in the tub! Not 10 minutes after I finished, the repairman's manager stopped by to check on him and see if he needed a hand with anything. I jokingly mentioned that I had just done dishes in the tub, so he offered to look at the disposal. I don't know what he did, but he literally walked into the kitchen, did something real quick under the sink, and then turned on the now-working disposal. The only thing I could say was "are you kidding me?" Haha! The first thing I did was run a load of dishes. Now that my counter is clear of junk and dishes, I feel so much better. 

Late last night, I got a call from our landlord, telling me that she'd gotten approval from the owners, to buy us a new dishwasher AND garbage disposal. It was like Christmas! I can't tell you how badly I've been wanting a dishwasher that actually cleans dishes. Sometime next week I'll get my new toy! And until then, no more dishes in the tub...





No comments:

Post a Comment