February 5, 2013

Dough!

As you all know, I've been desperate to find substitutes for anything carb. I've been able to find recipes for things to replace bread and chips, but unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything to substitute noodles. Dang. Anyway, I really wanted to try making a pizza with a "no carb" crust. Can you guess what the crust is made out of?? ...anyone?.....CAULIFLOWER!! I know, I kind of went "eww" too, but I was willing to give it a try.

Here's what ya do...

"rice" one head of cauliflower. To rice it, you cut up the florets, add to a food processor, and pulse it until it looks like rice. If you don't have a food processor, use a cheese grater.  Then put it into the microwave for 8 minutes.

Using 1 cup of the riced cauliflower, mix in 1 cup of mozzerella cheese (and DON'T forget to buy cheese, and end up having to grate string cheese. Yeah, that's what I had to do), 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic, 1 egg, 1 tsp of Oregano, and 1 tsp of salt. Put it onto a greased cookie sheet and mold into a 9" round.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. I brushed mine with olive oil to help it brown.

Like I said, string cheese. 

Once it's done, add sauce, cheese, and any pre-cooked toppings. They have to be pre-cooked because the next step in the over only lasts 4 minutes. I could kick myself for not having anything for toppings. NEXT TIME!...Put it under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melty.

As you can see here, my idiotic move of using string cheese, made it so that my cheese wouldn't melt. Ha! 

Ta-da!! 
Personally, not being able to have real pizza for at least a year, this was pretty encouraging. It was really yummy, even if it didn't taste exactly like Papa John's. And the best part was that I couldn't tell it was cauliflower. I like it, Ryan choked it down, but I think I'll play with the recipe a bit to get it how I like it. It will definitely be better with toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment