October 10, 2012

When The Hubby's Away

When the hubby's away, Nanny will play! Well, not necessarily "play," more like "work hard" or "decorate". I decided the day before Ryan left that I wanted to give the purple (story here) another shot. Just on a much smaller wall this time; the extra bathroom. I found a picture of the exact color I wanted and vowed that if I couldn't match it, I wasn't even going to try...and NO way was I buying any paint color that had the word "grape" in the name. By the way, this was all done on Monday. I just couldn't post about it because it was a surprise for Ryan. Now that he's home and been able to behold its purpley glory, I can share. (By the way, I asked him if he liked it, and his response was "I haven't seen the bill yet..." RUDE! :P)

I only did two things "wrong". First, I decided on matte paint, but after I finished, I kind of wished I had done gloss.It's still gorgeous, but that sheen just adds something. Oh well. The second thing I did wrong was use one of those tiny, white, foamy rollers. I figured that since it was such a small wall, I could get away with it...I also figured Ryan wouldn't be so upset about me pulling off a surprise project, if I didn't spend much money. I already had the roller, so I didn't want to buy another. The paint was only $10, so I really didn't want to spend much more than that...and I didn't!! Anyway, the dinky roller didn't cover well, so I had to do three coats. Whereas a regular roller probably would have covered in one. Lessons learned!! All-in-all, I like it. It's much better than the drab beige. I think it's a perfect combination of mature adult, and cute girl...so when this bathroom officially becomes Lilly's, it's still girly enough for her. I plan on doing a fun lady bug themed bathroom in a future house.

Not only did I update the extra bathroom, I updated ours as well. I wanted to pull in some of the black & white damask pattern. We have the beautifully cute Tiffany Blue shower curtain, so I got a bathroom mat and some hand towels in the damask pattern. Everything else is black. 

Welp, my hubby's home! Oh, and my nice camera is home, too! :D Nighty night!

I was going to paint the wall behind the toilet and around the mirror, but after the hassle that the main wall was, I realized I didn't want to worry about taping around everything. My luck, I'd end up with a purple toilet.

Lilly's purple bloomers matched perfectly, so I put the picture on the counter

Voila! I'm thinking of cream or gray as the accent color. Not entirely sure yet. I was mostly able to reuse decorations. The shelf, candles, and "G" towels were all reused. 

The new rug is so soft on my tosies! Matching picture frame on the shelf above the toilet. 

Nothing better than fresh, new towels. 


In all, the whole "makeover" only cost about $40...that's paint, towels, rugs, shower curtain and accessories...Pretty good if you ask me. But, as always, spending any amount of money stresses Ryan out, so I spent MORE money on M&M's to distract him from the pain. 



No comments:

Post a Comment