October 3, 2012

Annoyed, Yet Productive


Okay, so first of all, I'm only sitting here, writing this post, because I'm trying to distract myself from how INCREDIBLY angry I am. I'll explain...

Since moving in, I've not yet had the change to OCD anything: not the closet, not the dresser, not the storage unit. Stuff has just been put where it needs to go, but hasn't been tidied (well, in most everyone's eyes, they're tidied, but they're not up to my OCD standards). I had a strange surge of motivation today, despite also having a strange urge to puke, continuing from last night. I wanted to complete the task that's been bugging me the most...the storage unit.

Yes, we finally have a storage unit again!! There were two things I hated most about our last place: the neighbors and the complete lack of storage. I was having to concoct all types of clever ideas for storing things, or I just had to learn to go without. Not only do we have a storage unit, we have a full-blown garage...that never gets used. Anyway, the unit is full of totes of my random junk. We've had these totes stored at my mom's house since before I met Ryan, and since now I suddenly have space, the first thing my mom did was offer to bring them to me. Oh, how sweet, mom! :P I was able to condense 4 totes down to 3. I actually loved doing this. It gave me a chance to go through everything that I saved from growing up: year books, cards, pictures, mementos. Ahh, good memories. The storage unit is now purdy-clean!

After tackling the biggest thing on my list, I decided to keep going. The next thing I wanted to do was assemble the metal shelf that used to be in our bathroom at the old place. We have no use for it in the house, but I figured it would be useful in the garage...when our parents start making us take back all of the junk that we've been storing at their houses. Ha! Easy enough, right? When moving in, I taped all the poles together...check! I had all of the shelves neatly stacked in the storage unit...check! Only thing now was to grab the little plastic things that keep it all together. In my mind, I had stuck them in our "parts box" (mover's term for the box where you put screws and bolts from disassembling everything while moving). To my annoyed dismay, the weren't there. I could have sworn I put them there. I've literally spent the last 5 1/2 hours going through every single corner of this blasted house!! And what bugs me, is that this is NOT the first time I've done this since moving in.

I'm becoming too organized for my own good. I get annoyed with how much stuff gets in my way or clutters up counters when I don't actually need the stuff yet, so I move them, thinking to myself "I'll just put that there until I need it." Then when I go to find it, I've either lost it or put it in such a clever spot, I don't remember where it is. I swear there must be another realm where stuff that gets lost goes. I have looked EVERYWHERE for these dang plastic pieces. It starts with looking in the obvious spots, where a sane person would put something. Then it goes to opening sock drawers, looking in the fridge, searching under the sleeping cat, all in hopes that maybe I just had a lapse in sanity. I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE!!! I even took a second to say a silent prayer. I felt pretty lame asking the Lord to help me find plastic shelf parts. Maybe He's just finding this amusing, so He's going to bless me with finding them later. Until then, I'm completely avoiding it.

The living room exploded. 

This reminded me of a scene from E.T. Just glancing at this pile of stuff, you'd miss the fact that there was a cat laying in it all. 

It was so cool out today! I LOVED having the screen door open while I worked. The kitties enjoyed it too.

Yep, this is the patio. Nothing much, but once we get some chairs out there, the view is quite something....just not right now, seeing as it looks like the storage unit puked.

Nice and organized...Big sigh of relief.....Oh how embarrassing, there's a BYU bag showing. 

I swear, she thinks she sleeps better if she's laying on paper

Poor girl is still sick. But, she did very well last night. We put her on the soft bed that came with the pack ' n' play, elevated it, rubbed her down with vapor rub, sucked out her nose, and turned on a humidifier. She slept through the night! Ms. Snotty has been sleeping all day. 

MY FUN FINDS:

I found a whole bunch of stuff for Lilly. A cute picture frame, curtain rod ends, and books that I've had since I was a baby...complete with my little kid handwriting and all. The purple book in the center was given to me by Grandma Griffin when I was a baby. She wrote a really cute note on the inside cover. It's a book full of Mother Goose nursery rhymes. I can't wait to read these to Lilly one day. But, mom, you have to read her "We're Going on a Bear Hunt," because you do the voices best. 
 MORE HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS

Thanks, mom! The cauldron in the middle has a fan and a light bulb that makes it look like the fire is real. 


I found a bunch of cute magnets. My favorite being the shimmery, googley-eyed ones. I hope they don't fall off, otherwise we'll lose them to the kitties. 

cats and ducks. 

I think this was my favorite find of the day. I found a shadow box containing all of my 2002 Salt Lake Olympic memorabilia. I laughed when I remembered all of the times that my mom and I went pin trading, and I, being only 11 at the time, would trade valuable, expensive pins, for junky ones, just because I thought they were cute. For instance, notice the Idaho potato pin (left center). That one drove my mom nuts. All of these have meaning and memories attached to them. I picked them out because I liked something about them.  In the background are my ID badge to go the the events, my ticket, and a flag. My mom made each of us kids one of these.

It's now hanging next to my desk. 

See those little, black pieces? I'm supposed to have about 30 more of those. Why I only have a handful and not all of them, I don't understand. SWEET MOTHER OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN, SOMEBODY COME HELP ME FIND THEM!!


No comments:

Post a Comment