I had initially pictured today going a lot differently. My image was of me getting up, taking a shower, getting into my comfy scrubs, then spending the afternoon listening to a movie while making the cookies for my baby shower. Yeah, didn't really go that way. Everything up to the movie went well. Then I couldn't figure out how to hook up the DVD player, since we recently switched TVs in the bedroom. Then the cookies were, let's just say, somewhat disastrous. Last week, I wrote the recipe up on our kitchen whiteboard, but I didn't realize the quantities of some of the ingredients. That's pregnancy brain for ya. It called for SO much butter. 2 1/2 cups!! I only had 3 sticks (AKA 1 1/2 cups), so I had to use margarine for the rest. And it was supposed to be room temperature, mine was still cold. Dangit! I tried to heat them up in the microwave, but the margarine went straight to liquid, while the butter stayed hard. I dealt with it. The recipe said that you would really need a KitchenAid stand mixer, but I only had a hand mixer. The drawback to that was that they warned I could incoorporate too much air into the cookies, making them poof too much when I baked them. I finally got everything mixed together, and then threw the very loose dough into the fridge for an hour to become more solid. An hour later, I cut my onsies out and threw them into the oven for a test batch. My heart sank when I opened the oven and the cookies were poof balls...no shape at all. The recipe said if that happened, I should put the cookies (post cutting, pre baking) in the fridge for another hour, and they should keep their shape better. Another hour later, I put another batch into the oven and prayed that the outcome would be different. They were only slightly different. I felt terrible. But I rolled with the punches and decided to decorate them anyway. And oh man, was that a task in itself. I splayed out all of my gear onto the dining room table and went at it. The bag of powdered sugar exploded all over me, the table, and the floor, but I didn't care. The icing I made was too loose, but I tried to overcome anyway. In the end, to me, the cookies were a pain in my butt and looked terrible compared to what I expected, but I think they're still cute and will look good at the shower. Only took me 6 hours!! Tomorrow I get to make ice cream cone cupcakes and "babies in blankets" (pigs in a blanket). The cooking never ends.
 |
| Some of them turned out a bit darker than I liked, but I didn't really care. |
|
 |
| Somebody buy me this!! I will never, ever make these cookies again until I
get one of these!....oh, and a house. Yeah, I need a bigger kitchen. |
 |
| As if baking cookies for 6 hours wasn't enough, I still had to make dinner. Popcorn chicken and a salad. SOOO yummy! |
 |
| And of course, Ryan had to pick on June. He mushed her into the garbage can. She actually liked it. |
 |
| Peek-a-boo! |

(Day 363)
No comments:
Post a Comment