February 22, 2014

Pink Party

I was *this* close to picking my bed over the blog, but I figured I'd fill everyone in on how the bridal shower went.

I got up at 5 and couldn't sleep, so I busied myself with finishing last-minute ideas for the shower. Seriously, it wasn't until I was rolling around in bed this morning, anxious out of my mind, that I decided to use my chalkboards and most of my own decorations for the party. I hid away in the office for most of the morning while I chalked "Bridal Shower," "For Susan, the bride-to-be," and "Eat, Drink, and be married" onto my three boards. I was thrilled with how they turned out. So thrilled, I wish they said something appropriate for me to leave on display in my house at all times. But "Bridal Shower" just doesn't seem like every day decor. Ha!

As soon as I was done with all the final OCD touches, Lilly was dressed, and the car was loaded, we headed off. We left a tad bit sooner than I wanted, but I'm super glad we did, because we were rushing and feeling like we didn't have enough time to set up. I personally felt like I wasn't going to have enough time to cook AND decorate, but we somehow managed. 

Everything was beyond perfect. When I asked Susan what she wanted the theme of the party to be, I don't think my text had been sent for more than 3 seconds before I got an immediate "PINK!!" in response. Pink it is! Mom swagged pink plastic table cloths all over the ceiling and windows, we got 2 dozen pink balloons and hung their engagement pictures from them (thanks, Pinterest), and we set up the entry table for guest activities. I asked each guest to fill out a card with their favorite memory with Susan, but not to put their name on it. Susan then had to guess who that person was by the memory. I think she got them all right. I also asked each guest to fill out a card with date ideas. Boy did we get some funny ones. I personally wrote "babysit Lilly so I can have a date night," and "watch Notre Dame football!". 

I was totally unprepared for how many people came. Thank goodness I cooked enough, because it started to look iffy for a minute. I made a Cafe Rio smorgasbord, and everyone loved it. In fact, I've been recruited to do it again for the wedding reception. My cake pops were also a big success, well, what was left from Lilly's thieving. I was cooking way when I heard Lilly saying "nom, nom, nom" behind me. When I turned around to look, she had her hands full of cake pops and was reaching for more. Once she figured out that I saw her, she ran off with three pops and sat on the stairs while she ate them. Seriously, I think Lilly ate more cake pops than anyone else. I'll remember not to put them so close to the edge of the table next time.

After food and "games," we opened presents. Jack's been joking with me that the presents part was going to be hard for me, since I'm his sister. It's obligatory that the bride receive lingerie, and I just had to ignore the fact that these skimpy outfits were what Susan would be wearing for my BROTHER. As revenge, I made her put on every piece of lingerie that she got. As presents came to an end, Connie, Susan's mom, took a minute to thank everyone for coming, thanked them for making Susan feel at home out in Utah, and then told about how much she loved Susan. I think everyone was in tears at how much those two love each other. Every daughter should be lucky to have a mother to call their best friend. I'm lucky to have my mommy-friend!

We started shower prep at 5 this morning, and I didn't get home until 5 this evening. It was a LOOOOONG day. Lilly didn't take a nap, yet still managed to be the cutest, happiest baby all day! Once home, I had to bathe Lilly, since she was covered in chocolate, and once we were in bed for our nightly Elmo routine, I passed out. I vaguely recall Lilly saying "mommy sleeping," as she leaned over me. Once I put her to bed, I contemplated just going to bed myself, but my desire for dinner and blogging won out. Where's Ryan, you ask? Today is Jack's bachelor party, so he and all of Jack's buddies are up north by Brigham City, getting into all sorts of trouble, I'm sure. 

Picture overload!!

Did it all by myself! I had to get some Southern accent into the party somehow, even if it was just the invite. For the final product, I glued a hot pink bow in the upper left corner. 
Party favors. "Jack Popped the Question." Inside were things that pop: bubbles, gum balls, and a balloon.
Final product
"Yep, I stole this cake pop..."

Just finished crying, after grandma told her no more cake pops

Mason jars for the drinks, pink chevron napkins and straws, gummy Ring Pop rings, and my mom's linen and kitchen accessory cake centerpiece. The bottom layer of the "cake" was towels, the middle layer was sheets, and the top layer was Easter hand towels. Grandma DD filled it in with all the kitchen stuff. I loved it!


"Miss to Mrs."



Already mooching from Aunt Susie
Talking to Bear-bear. She was delusionally tired.
The salads
Wanting more cake
Covered in chocolate
Laughing at some of the date ideas
She got the cutest burlap pillow that read "Happily Ever After"

Being silly

Doing the shimmy
Her mom started to tell dirty stories, and this is Susan, not wanting to hear them



Getting choked up

Right as she hugged her, she said "you're my best friend"

Susan, saying "Dangit, now I'm crying!!"

The naughty cousins
We got her an Elmo balloon, in hopes that she'd leave all the others alone 

These lanterns and pom-poms are now hanging above Lilly's crib. I may as well use them, since I paid for them!
I turned on the camera timer and went running to get into the picture. Lilly isn't looking at the camera, because she was too busy wondering why mommy was running
I got pictures with Susie and each one of her guests, one-on-one, and I'm going to scrapbook the picture with their date night ideas and their favorite memory cards

My party partner in crime. Thanks for helping me make this shower such a big success, mom!! 
Mothers of the bride and groom


Playing with mommy, as I crashed after the party



Such a good helper
The first 5 minutes of the drive home consisted of Lilly playing with balloons
And then she passed out...

I have a feeling we're going to be entertained for a while.
These are a few of my favorite engagements of Jack and Susan's



FAVORITE!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment