April 3, 2013

Picnic

Apparently it's Spring break right now, so I got all 3 kids today while babysitting. That's so NOT a bad thing. I LOVE Elsa. I thought it would be a fun change of pace to pack everyone up and take them for a picnic at the park. Not knowing the area, I let Elsa lead the way. According to her, the park "isn't that far." Well, turns out, according to Google, that it was about 2 miles away. I pushed Ben and Adele in the world's hardest-to-push stroller, while Elsa pulled Lilly in a wagon (seat belt included).

So, dumb me for not realizing that since it was a nice, warm day during Spring break, every kid in Lehi would be at the park. We were able to find a nice spot under a tree, and we didn't have to fight too long for a turn at the swing. Once our picnic spot was all settled, I just smiled at how cute all of the kids looked, sitting on a blanket, eating the lunches I made. Even Lilly just sat quietly and munched on her goldfish crackers. Once Ben and Adele were gone playing, Lilly decided to help herself to their uneaten food. I was making my normal every-30-second kid check, when I looked back at her, and she was eating a sandwich. She liked it, so I just let her go at it...despite covering herself in mustard and mayo. Then, while Elsa was looking away, Lilly grabbed a whole handful of Pringles right out of her hands. It was stinkin' hilarious. So, we now know that Lilly likes sandwiches and chips...

As we were packing up, Elsa asked if we could stop by the Public Library. It was "just down the street". In my mind, it was more much-needed exercise, so I agreed. Another mile later, we arrived, I got a library card so she could get the book she needed, and we wandered, trying to find said book. At this point, we'd been out for an hour or two and the walk home was looming. Again, I took Elsa's advice and we took a "shortcut" through her school. After pushing the heavy stroller up a huge, gravel hill, we came to find that the school has those fence entrances that don't allow more than a body to go through...the ones with the poles to keep out large vehicles and such. We couldn't get the stroller or wagon through, so we had to backtrack to the other side. 

We FINALLY made it home after about 3 hours and countless miles. Lilly and Ben immediately went down for naps without a fuss, and Elsa, Adele, and I all grabbed a drink and zoned out in front of the TV. I woke up this morning and noticed that my back pain was more manageable, and during the walk, it didn't bother me too much, but after sitting down at home for a bit, it's 10 times worse than it was last night. At least I got in my exercise, right? Oh, and the only regret was that Lilly got her first sunburn. I made her wear a hat, but I totally spaced the sunscreen. It's not a bad burn, but her little baby rolls make it apparent. 

Yep, my kids were the ones running around in shorts and snow boots. He WON'T take them off!


Eating her stolen turkey sandwich


We let her hold this can on the way home, and by the time we got home, she had gotten the top off and was eating chips. 


Is this not the cutest face ever?! I think she's saying "why do I have to sit in the wagon?"


More excited screams

This just makes me laugh. 
Apparently Lilly has some sort of relationship with the iPad...hugs and kisses

Elsa gave Lilly a cookie, and without even showing her how, Lilly crawled right over to the glass of milk and dunked her whole hand in. My genius milk & cookie baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment