October 23, 2012

Predicament

Last night reminded me of when Lilly was still having problems sleeping...but for a different reason. She's at the stage where she just wants to roll, wiggle, and grab at anything she can see. I put her in bed at night, like any parent does, length-wise, and leave her be. When I get up in the morning, she's managed to turn in the exact opposite direction, and has her face pinned up against the bumper. Last night we had to keep going in every few hours to reset her position. She can see the light from the monitor and ends up rolling over to try and grab it. In fact, the other morning, I woke up because I heard a lot of commotion coming through on our end. Turns out, she had managed to get to the camera and had it in her mouth. It was actually pretty hilarious. We sat and watched her for a bit before going in and taking it away from her. But anyway, I'm starting to get worried.

Everyone says to just let her be and not worry, but the way that she always positions herself has me concerned  She's really good at getting her head in the corner of the crib, so that she's suffocating on the bumper. Part of me is paranoid that if I remove the bumper, she'll manage to get her huge noggin lodged in-between the bars. You may say "pssh, that's not possible," but someone had to have done it at least once in the past, otherwise we wouldn't have a need for them. I'm in the process of concocting ideas...

Excuse the blurriness  The room was still pretty dark, so this is as focused as the camera would get. But I put her in with her head to the left (the exact opposite of where she is in this picture), and she manages to overcome the rolled up blankets. 
 In other news, today marked day 1 of our new diet routine. The day mostly consists of nose-cringing protein shakes, lots of cottage cheese, and lots of chicken. I bought a cheap rice cooker, since I'm making long grain brown rice that takes forever. I added some minced onion, garlic, and herbs to it, but the stuff still tasted disgusting. Why is it that health food insists on tasting so bland? Poor Ryan is eating these boring dinners with me now, so all throughout dinner, I kept apologizing for how terrible everything was. Dieting must mean no happiness. I'm going to have to think up some ways to make this stuff taste good, without adding any calories.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, the great bumper debate! We didn't use one at all at first (since "everyone" says not to), but I was more afraid of an arm or leg getting caught. A friend told me about this and I was SO glad!! We're still using ours and kiddo is two!

    http://www.amazon.com/BreathableBaby-Breathable-Mesh-Liner-White/dp/B0013FGWD0

    You won't regret it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and one other thought: I get what you mean about someone must have done it or we wouldn't have the bumpers... but they have been around since way-back-when, when the bars on cribs were much further apart. I don't think she could get her head in between those without a lot of commotion and squawking which would wake you up anyway. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete