October 6, 2012

My Kind of Day

So we didn't actually get to bed until about 12:30 last night. I was feeling super sick from a late night, and lots of laughing that left my throat and lungs burning. I took some Nyquil and was asleep before my head even hit the pillow. Ryan was, as always, an amazing husband when he got up with Lilly at 6. Our new bed makes it so I literally can't ever tell when Ryan gets out of bed. I had no idea he got up with her until he came in and told me. I haven't been sleeping well lately, but when he got me up at 6:30 to say that she was fed, I realized I had slept a solid 6 hours. No tossing or turning, no checking the alarm clock, no checking the monitor. Guess Nyquil and complete exhaustion can do that to a person. After the quick intermission, I got to sleep until 9!! Once I got up, I wanted to throw dinner in the crock pot before General Conference started.

Conference was just what I needed to hear. It's such a comforting thing to know that the messages were sent for you to hear. Our first time watching conference as a married couple, they talked a lot about dealing with trials. That was the year that I was drowning in depression. The second year, they talked a lot about having children. That was the week we found out I was pregnant. This time around, one specific talk stood out. I've been thinking a lot about Easton lately. The talk given by Shayne M. Bowen of the Seventy, about his son that died shortly after birth, that one hit me hard. I know I didn't lose a child in the same way, but I lost my son too. Leaving the hospital empty-handed, feeling completely angry and numb to the world...that was me. And recent events have made me feel like he's continuously taken from me again and again, and like I'm being made the bad guy for how I'm coping. The way that he described his pain and anger, I turned to Ryan and said "that is EXACTLY how I felt." But when he talked about how such a devastating event in someone's life can turn into one of the biggest blessings, that, too, was something I could relate to. Wow, such a good talk. 

After the first session of conference, I locked Ryan in the office so that he could finish the massive pile of work that he had to get done. Lilly slept in her swing while I cleaned, tinkered, and made more arrangements for dinner. Her and I watched the second half of conference alone...she slept mostly. After conference, Jack, who actually went to conference, came to have dinner and watch the ND game. I made Cafe Rio sweet pork salads, complete with sweet rice, black beans, and chipotle ranch dressing. He couldn't get enough...oh, and he ate all of the cookies. :P I LOVE getting to spoil that kid! Oh, and did I mention that Notre Dame kicked Miami's butt? In just two short weeks, I'll be living out #1 on my bucket list. No joke, it's #1. My dad is treating us (Ryan, Jack, and I) to an all-expenses-paid trip to go to South Bend, Indiana to see Notre Dame play BYU....err, SLAUGHTER BYU. Excited doesn't even begin to describe what I feel. 

Anyway, today was a good day. I shall go to bed with a full tummy, and a full, peaceful heart. 

Ryan made me breakfast...I forgot what he called it, but he's been wanting to try it for some time. 

Lilly and I watching the before-mentioned talk. I had to refocus my pain and realize that I was living the latter part of his talk. Here I was, watching a man talk about losing his son, something I can relate to, while watching it with MY daughter...the effect of losing Easton. She and Ryan are my greatest blessings in life, and it's because of surviving that loss and turning to the Lord, that I'm now happier than I could ever imagine. 

Ha! Look what I finished! Curse you, shelf! 

Wearing her too-big jeans, ready to watch some football! (please, re-read that in John Madden's voice...)

Ryan holding Lilly by her "granny-pants"

Jack and I were too hungry to wait for me to get a picture of our salads. So I took a picture of Ryan's burrito instead. 

My loves!

How can you not smile when your team wins? 

Oh, and I finally remembered to turn on my Halloween lights. :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment