August 16, 2012

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

I feel like one of those old people who sits around all day and watches the TV shopping network and thinks they need that 4-in-1 knife that can clip your nails, cut through steel, chop veggies, and trim the bushes. This time around, however, I was a sucker for a product on Pinterest. Let me explain....

I'm the type of person that likes a good deal. Name-brand usually isn't my thing; generic will do just fine. Well, I firmly believed that until I ran into the ONE product that I now refuse to buy unless it's name-brand....PAM cooking spray. The generic brand turned all of my cookie sheets and glass baking dishes brown and orange. And that dang stain WON'T come off. This woman baited me with one of those before and after pictures of what she claimed would "clean your pans back to brand new!" I thought "what the heck, it's only $10." I figured paying $10 for a product that I can probably use for the next 5 years is better than spending the money for all new pans. When the stuff came today, I was so excited to put it to work.

I envisioned squirting the soap onto the pan, leaving it for a second, scrubbing just a tad, and then, like they do in those cheesy commercials, I would wipe it away to find a perfectly clean, silver pan. NOPE! I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, and I only got a fraction of the result I wanted. My poor fingers started to burn from the stuff, they got pruney, and they were achy and sore from scrubbing the pans so hard. It worked...to an extent...don't get me wrong, but don't be fooled like I was. If you're going to give it a try, here are my tips: First, put on the soap, rub it around, and then move the pan aside so it can soak. Second, after a few minutes, scrub the heck out of it with one of those green Scotch-Brite scrubbing pads. Third, put it under VERY hot water and continue scrubbing. I found that I got the best results when I incorporated the hot water. Oh, and don't forget to use heavy-duty cleaning gloves. Save those precious fingers of yours! The pans that were only mildly stained, and not black, had the best outcome. The OCD brat inside of me is annoyed that the super black pans didn't appear to change at all. If you want to see the article that baited me, check it out here....I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who has her outcome.




Before and After. Not a single bit of difference

Better, but not perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment