We had a few plans for Cabo. One was beach time and the other was shopping. My mom's friend collects Hard Rock Cafe pins, so she asked me to get a pin if we ran across a Hard Rock. We noticed that Cabo had one, so that was our mission this day. On top of that, we got a handout from the cruise, that told us of all of the local jewelers that were handing out free jewelry; charms especially. We worked our way through Downtown, hitting all the stores, collecting our free charms, until we got to the Hard Rock. We bought our pin and headed back. By that point, we had walked a few miles, it was REALLY hot, and I was getting tired and dehydrated. I was really miserable. The walk sounded so terrible. But we did it. I will say this. No matter what port we went to, Ryan held my bag for me, held my hand and pulled me along, and made sure that I sat often and drank lots. He was super supportive! It got to the point where I couldn't walk as well unless I held his hand. It helped me walk more sturdy and helped with my speed. I couldn't have done it without him.
The funniest part of this day was during our walk back. I was sick of carrying around my big shoulder bag (well, maybe I should say RYAN was sick of carrying it), so I wanted a small over-the-shoulder wallet thingy. And not just any, there was a style of one that I had always wanted. We stumbled upon one that I just had to have. Ryan and I are terrible are bartering. We just don't like it. But we decided to practice. The guy started at $20, I got him down to $12, he went to $15, and as we were sitting there in silence, Ryan and I showed how truly terrible we are at bartering. Literally, simultaneously, Ryan and I both yelled out a number. It sounded like this..."$8!!....$10!!!" I felt so stupid. I said 10 at the exact second Ryan said 8. I had been the one bartering, so when Ryan felt that the negotiations had halted, he thought he'd lend a hand. It was hilarious. I just laughed and told the guy I'd give him $10. He agreed and Ryan and I walked off feeling stupid.
On our walk back, I was starting to get really irritated with the locals. You won't understand where I'm coming from until you go to Mexico. I think part of my frustration was fueled from the pregnancy and the heat, but still. Literally every five feet, there was another person heckling us or trying to get us to buy something. It didn't matter if I had just said no to the previous guy who was selling the same thing, they were like vultures! I've always hated that part of Mexico. I just wanted to put a sign on my shirt that said "NO!!" The worst were the ones that would follow us. What got me was that even when we got back onto the ship, we couldn't escape it. Even the photographers and workers were the same way. I just wanted ten minutes without hearing "You want a taxi? You want to go snorkeling? I have some free Tequila for you, Senora!". At one point, I was sitting on a bench when an old lady walked up and put her McDonald's cup in my face. At first I didn't know what she wanted. She was begging for money! Ugh, leave me alone!!! That's my only complaint about Mexico. You really can't relax because of all of it.



(Day 188)

No comments:
Post a Comment