August 30, 2011

The Good Die Young

This post is being typed through tears and pain. For the second time in two weeks, another of my sweet dogs had to be put to sleep. This time around, man's best friend, the most loyal dog you'll ever meet, Ginger, was the victim. I remember when we first got her. I was 10 years old. My dad had taken my brothers to Petco for fish food, and he ended up walking out with a pure-bread German Shepherd. She was shy at first, but when she realized that she wasn't going anywhere, she was such an amazing dog. Throughout all the years I spent with her, she was renowned for her obsession with our safety. Every night, like clockwork, she would pop open our bedroom door with her head so that she could check on us. We slept in a bunk bed, so she'd stick her face up to mine to make sure I was breathing, give me a kiss, then jump up to the top bunk to check on Jack, then repeat 5-6 times throughout the night. She was such a sweetheart. She never once bit us, growled, or showed aggression. Her favorite things in the world included rides in the car, going into work with my dad, and a nice, long tummy rub.

I'll sure miss her. My heart is broken, but I'm glad she's no longer in any pain. I hope her and Cinnamon are in doggy heaven, looking down on us right now. Rest in peace, sweet Gingy.

(Day 131)

No comments:

Post a Comment