All my hard work has paid off, and I'm proud to report that not only is my dad moved in, but he is organized! I spent yesterday doing all the small, menial tasks that I was avoiding. That included having to replace all the shelving paper in the kitchen. I was excited about my dad having tons of pantry and drawer space at first, but I started to hate it after the first 7 shelves. Putting on contact paper is SO annoying!...especially when Lilly tries to help. After a few hours of messing with the kitchen, we put Lilly to bed and then lugged up the ridiculously heavy TV stand from the car. Oh, and I only dropped my end of the box once...in the middle of carrying it up the stairs. Ha!
I HATE assembling furniture, but this was easier than I thought it would be. My dad seems to suffer from the same problem of not trusting me as Ryan does. Maybe it's just a man thing. But I can't tell you how many times I've bought something or proposed a project to Ryan, just to have him give me his crazy arched eyebrow, basically saying "yeah, that's not going to work". My dad admitted that he didn't really love the TV stand in the store and was worried about how it would look. But now that it's assembled, he can't stop talking about how much he loves it. Go me! It really does look great. I'm jealous!
Anyway, here are the promised "after" pictures. Enjoy!
 |
| The lamp that I love...and clearance candles from Target. |
 |
| She kept getting in the way of all of the pictures I was trying to take, so I asked her to stand by me and hold my hand. Surprisingly, she did. |
 |
| Love the lamps. Love the pillows. When proposing red as the color scheme, I told my dad that it would make his expensive picture above the couch look even better. I was right! |
 |
| More clearance, red stuff from Target. I love how soft and plump these pillows are. |
 |
| The rug!!! Isn't it beautiful?!? I would never have thought to buy something with such a busy pattern, but I'm glad I went against my norm. It looks so good in the room. |
 |
| Even though grandpa was passed out and snoring loudly, she insisted on giving him his notepad. Such a good helper! |
 |
| I can't look at this picture without immediately noticing the floating shelf in the corner. I was SO mad at that dang shelf. I spent about 10 rounds, over a few hours (I needed some calm down breaks, so I wouldn't kill anyone or punch the wall out of frustration), and eventually got so mad, my dad had to hang it himself. He got it to hang, but I don't think it's really on fully (as you can see from it's precarious leaning) I don't dare touch it, or attempt to put anything more on it than what's there. I've just made mental note NOT to sit near it, and I've warned my dad over and over that one of these days it's just going to fall, and he better prepare himself for it. As for me, I'm never buying another floating shelf, EVER! |
 |
| I joke around with my dad a lot about how I want certain items put in his will for me. Haha, it sounds bad, but it's our joke. Anyway, I've already told him that I "call dibs" on his mirror, the rug, and his dining room table. I so love that mirror. It's perfect for over the fireplace. |
 |
| These candles make the room smell so good! |
 |
| I didn't take a before picture, but trust me, it was bad. |
 |
| I thought a pop of color and a little pattern would be fun. I only did the busy, girly pattern on the inside of the pantry. |
 |
| My dad came in and laughed at me when he realized that I was organizing the back row of spices alphabetically. |
 |
| This is what was covering all of the drawers in the kitchen. I've since covered over them with a faux-marble paper. Plain and ivory. |
 |
| Obviously I'll never have a wine rack in my house, but I actually like the decorative touch that it adds to this room. Not to mention most of the bottles have red tops, so they match! |
 |
| See, wouldn't you call dibs on that table? Ever since I was little, I've loved this table. When I paint, that hideous orange color on the bar will be changed to red. |
 |
| Simple $20 rug from IKEA. I liked the cream leaf pattern in it. It's still in the awkward just-unrolled-and-still-curly-on-the-edges stage. |
 |
| The man cave. Can't wait to paint this one. |
 |
| Yes, my dad uses a 50" TV as his computer monitor. It's ridiculous. |
 |
| Spare bedroom, and a good view of the lamp that I called dibs on. |
 |
| I made my dad's bed yesterday morning and it really confused him for some reason. |
 |
| The frame at the top right of the picture, is reserved for mine and Jack's wedding pictures. I liked the large collage picture from IKEA for the end of the hallway. Just have to find pictures for it.... |
 |
| My dad always gives me his master bedroom when I visit. How sweet! And yes, I brought two suitcases, as I usually get spoiled by my papa. |
 |
| The ugly glass TV stand. Doesn't that just look terrible? |
 |
| And the new one! |
 |
| It's gorgeous and it helps bring all the dark wood elements together. |
 |
| Lilly got a hold of one of dad's pencils. I found her coloring on the wall in the kitchen....and the hallway. I'm just glad her first coloring on the wall incident wasn't at my house. Haha! |
No comments:
Post a Comment