May 8, 2013

Our Little Lady is 1!

I'll admit, I had a hard time sleeping this morning. I was a big ball of emotions. Happy for Lilly and her 1st birthday, nostalgic for the day of her birth, and sad that my "baby" is now a full-fledged kid. When I went in to get her up, I started singing happy birthday to her. Of course it made her happy, since she just loves songs anyway. I tried to make her day super special...not that she'll remember. One thing that I loved about our birthdays while growing up, was that my mom always went out of her way to make the day memorable. I want to be just like my mom in that regard.

So, for breakfast, I made her scrambled eggs and a "1" pancake. I plopped them down onto her high chair tray and let her at it. She ate all of it...I stole some of the eggs, but I don't think she cared. For most of the morning, I just let her wander around the house. She's usually trapped in the living room, but I opened up the baby gate and let her wander. She loves to push the buttons on the remote that controls our bed, so the bed was going up and down all morning. Then she played in the closet, banging on the mirror and playing with the exercise ball. So happy with such small things. 

Ryan came home at around 2, so that we could have more of the day to celebrate. Up until the last second, I was debating between a few options for what to do. Yes, I know that she won't remember or really care, but I want to be able to know that she had fun, regardless. Our options were going to the zoo, going to Build-a-bear, or going to Color Me Mine. The zoo was up in the air due to weather, and I couldn't decide between the other two. We ended up picking Build-a-bear. She was super excited to be surrounded by all of the stuffed animals. Ryan and I made her a bear, and my mom made her a bear. We recorded a voicebox that says "mommy and daddy love you, Lilly" when you squeeze the bear's arm. My mom's is carrying a birthday cupcake, too! She loves them and I'm glad she enjoyed herself so much.

After making the bears, we went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill. Lilly got free juice and free ice cream because it was her birthday. LOTS of leftovers for us to enjoy later. After dinner, we went to Barnes & Noble so that my mom could pick out a book for Lilly's birthday party. Lilly had a blast getting to play with trains, books, and stuffed animals. I think we found a new place to take her when she's a bit older. 

I'm so thankful that I have Lilly to call mine. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. Every smile just makes my day and I love getting to watch her explore and grow. I still can't believe this year flew by. I still remember our first few days in the hospital and how life changed so quickly. I wouldn't change it for the world.

This is a scan of the birthday invite that I made. I thought it would be fun to request books with messages, instead of cards.
Lilly got her first birthday card this weekend. Grandma Griffin sent a card that had a little mirror inside, and man did she love it. She walked around, smiling at herself all morning. Thanks GG!!




She found my stash of extra dum-dum suckers. 

Of course she had to pick the blue ones


Kissing the heart that's now in her bear

getting to push down the pedal that stuffed the bear

she loves to point at and poke everything




Snuggling her bears.


First time coloring...mostly just eating crayons


No matter how many times I tell my mom not to, she always ends up giving Lilly some of her soda. 

Poor thing must not be mine...

Chocolate gelato






No comments:

Post a Comment