January 9, 2013

Preparation

What a day! I tossed and turned all night, and before I knew it, it was time to get up. I had to be at St. Mark's Hospital by 8:30, but first I had to drop Ryan off at work. I forgot how terrible morning traffic was! I made it on time, thankfully. I was told that I needed to have a bunch of blood work done, but I really had no idea it was going to be so much. I'm used to the nurses always taking a couple of vials, but this time, she filled 10!! After having to fast for the test, I was a bit weak after that. THEN they informed me that I would have to do a "bowel cleanse." I won't elaborate; I think it speaks for itself. They gave me a bottle of magnesium citrate to start drinking at 3. They warned that I would want to be at home when I drank it, and NOT leave for the rest of the day.

Let me just start by saying that this drink was THE worst thing I've ever consumed. No being dramatic here, it is the clear winner for that title. The bottle was WAY too big for my liking. It was like having to chug a full bottle of soda. I tried my hardest to chug it down, but it was carbonated, so I had to stop about a 3rd of the way through. I mustered up the courage to have another go, but, again, I only got down another 3rd. It was so horrible! I sat there, staring at the remaining 3rd, honestly wanting to cry because I didn't think I could do it. That, and trying to convince myself to keep it down. After getting it down, I ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth and gurgle some mouth wash. It was the only thing saving me from death. What did I learn about this nasty bowel cleanse drink? It's forever ruined my liking of Sprite, that's for sure. It was carbonated and "lemon" flavor (by "lemon" they mean, "sweet and bitter") But hey, I'm never allowed to drink soda again after the surgery anyway, so I guess this just strengthens my resolve. 

Anyway, my surgery is at 8:30 AM tomorrow. I'm nervous, scared, excited, etc, etc. I just have to keep thinking about the light at the end of the tunnel. Wish me luck!! 

I can't even look at these pictures without getting nauseous! 








No comments:

Post a Comment